About Ashby Folville.
Ashby Folville lies 6 miles to the south-west of Melton Mowbray. It has a population of under 100. St Mary’s Church, founded in 1220, is well worth a visit. The village has three almshouses, which were renewed in 1981. The area is famous for its beautiful horse chestnut trees, a cricket green and a fine pub – The Carington Arms.
The village now exudes a peaceful and serene atmosphere but it was once the home of Leicestershire’s most infamous criminal family – the Folville brothers – who lived there 750 years ago and were involved in theft, kidnap, extortion and murder. Visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eustace_Folville#The_Folville_family for for more information.
Ashby Folville is a village in the Melton district of Leicestershire, south west of Melton Mowbray. The civil parish of Ashby Folville was abolished in 1936 and its 1,796 acres (727 ha) were merged with nearby Gaddesby.
The village was recorded in the Domesday Book. The Folville element of the place name comes from a family that had its seat here. The family name, ultimately derived from Folleville in the French region of Picardy, is attached to several other sites in Leicestershire, such as the deserted village of Newbolt Folville.
The Manor House was the seat of the Lord of the Manor until it was requisitioned by the Ministry of Defence at the start of World War 2. Two camps were built on the estate one of Nissen huts in front of the manor house and one of wooden prefabricated huts by the main gate facing the Gaddesby Road. At the end of the war these camps were used as one of a number of Polish Resettlement camps to house Polish refugees who did not wish to return to their then communist controlled homeland. http://www.polishresettlementcampsintheuk.co.uk/ashbyfolville2.htm